Avocet BOD Meeting Minutes
January 5, 2005
Call to order
Comments from the floor (30 minutes)
- There were members of the drainage committee present (Jeanne Albach,
Marty Weisshaut, Jack Theall, Steve Knapik, Richard Meehan) as well as a few
concerned people from the neighborhood (Lucy and Blake Slemmer and Jim
Approval of minutes
- Sports - Issues with courts 3 & 4, probably due to conditions when done.
Talbot is being very responsive, and committee is optimistic. Majority of funds
still being held. The lower tennis courts (3 & 4) are having another coat of
acrylic to minimize the cracks.
- Pool - Pump typically goes to 4-hours/day mode in cold weather. Due to odd
weather, it will probably be mid January before this is switched on though.
- Finance - No activity
- Information - No activity
- Architecture - Laura Lohrmann set to pass chair to Chad Davis, Mike Bragg is
to chair next quarter.
- Kids - Santa event held at local hotel. Seeking new chairperson. There is
still no chairperson for this committee. As for now, there will be no kids club
unless someone wants to volunteer for this. Beth Ostapiuk has a folder that
contains all of the information for the routine kids club events.
- Landscape - No activity
- Security - High jinks with some Christmas decorations. Block captain meeting
in February or March; details to come. Missing two block captains at end of
- Social - No activity
- Drainage - Maintenance and cosmetic work has been done to make the clubhouse
more livable. Jack also distributed drawn copies that showed the drains for the
pool area (or where drains SHOULD have been but were covered up by cement or
just clogged by debris) Gutters were cleaned out that were completely filled
with debris. Andrew and Beth requested that the drainage committee refrain from
any further work or repairs that could jeopardize our ability to seek damages
from the pool contractor. The pool company did not perform satisfactory work and
after they gather the necessary documents, there may be a chance to recover some
of the monies already spent. The drainage committee is in the process of
gathering all of the documentation from the county that has to do with the
amenities area so when an engineer is hired to assess the situation, all of the
"paper chasing" will be eliminated. This will not only speed up the process, but
will save considerable money. The plan thus far is to have the engineer do a
full scale assessment so we will hopefully eliminate this problem in the future.
The committee anticipates that the RFP will have options as to the different
types of "repair" work that can be done.
- $1000 approved for replacement of lamps on upper courts in conjunction
with other work.
- December 10 informational session and December 31 special meeting held.
Advisory vote on December 10: 20 in favor, 4 opposed. Drainage Committee
formed chaired by Jeanne Aulbach.
- $89/month approved for rental of storage unit for clubhouse contents.
- $5400 estimated for pool needs prior to opening. Decision tabled for
- ComCast cable service at the clubhouse possible if a homeowner that
backs up to it would okay running it through their yard. Decision tabled for
- Revision of 2005 budget. Asked Bruce to distribute 2005 budget to
- Revisited movement of information board to front of neighborhood. VP to
send an e-mail to the landscape committee.
- Request that Today Management notify the BOD BEFORE sending a letter
threatening legal action (third notice) rather than waiting until it is time
to pursue legal action.
- Management company. Jim, Blake and Lucy came to this meeting to voice
their concerns about Today American Management (TAM). There seem to be
concerns of "selective enforcement" by some of the residents. There will be
a committee formed to review TAM's performance and to evaluate other
property management options.Jim and blake volunteered to be on this
committee. The vice president will head this committee up and will send out
an e-mail on the forum to solicit volunteers.
- Portable basketball goal guidelines. It was determined that if a
resident has a portable basketball goal, it has to face the driveway. If it
cannot be put away after each use (such as a driveway that prohibits) it
must be turned back towards the driveway when it is not is use.
Next meeting Wednesday, February 2, 2005 at 7 PM, presumably in the