Board of Directors Meeting
June 11, 2001
The monthly meeting of the Avocet Board of Directors was called to
order at 7:04 PM on Monday, June 11, 2001, at the Avocet Clubhouse with
Paul Cernich presiding, Andrew Goodspeed and Carrie Meersman present.
Approval of Minutes
Minutes from the May 8, 2001 Avocet Board of Directors meeting were
approved by Andrew Goodspeed, seconded by Paul Cernich.
Comments From the Floor
Members from the Architectural and Covenants Committees were present to
discuss action on the part of their respective committees. The ACC has a
new chairperson, Angie Dziwoki. Homeowner requests were discussed with the
BOD and corrective action is to be taken. The Covenants Committee
discussed next steps for the approval of the proposed Covenants/Bylaws. An
update letter will be going out, followed by the ballot with the proposed
documents and a voting deadline. The Finance Committee was also
represented and discussed that preparations for the Annual Homeowners
Activities Completed Since Last Meeting
- Painted Clubhouse and fence
- Opened Pool
- Added additional umbrellas for pool
- Approved new clubhouse coordinator
- Repaired air conditioning in clubhouse
- Repaired leaks in restroom
- Repaired lights on lower tennis courts
- Covenants/Bylaws: Waiting to begin next phase for adoption of
- Long Term Capital requirements were discussed. Including the need for
painting the interior of the clubhouse.
- Lot #218, McRae & Stotlz, Landscape corrective action is to begin
(mowing, seeding, round-up). An Avocet homeowner has agreed to water the
lot. Purchase of hoses and sprinkles will be made.
- Still need to repair the warped board at the base of the wheel on the
- The termite bond/pest control service for clubhouse: needs major
improvements first. Once the clubhouse repairs for water damage and
foundation drainage are completed, a termite bond and pest control service
will be investigated.
- Janitorial services for clubhouse and restrooms were discussed. The
pool contractor will be responsible for restrooms during the pool season;
Molly Maid of Norcross has been hired to clean the clubhouse and restrooms
once a month, year-round.
- Highwoods Property: BOD is looking for a Neighborhood Representative to
be our liaison with the property management company to stay updated on
tree planting, lights and garbage dumping.
- Repairs to the clubhouse/pool house, including fence painting, Bus Stop
repair, Clubhouse/Pool House drainage, etc. will begin this summer. Funds
were approved at the May and June BOD meetings.
- It was determined that a 30 foot Natural Buffer zone will remain
between Avocet property and Lou Ivy Drive. In this area, there shall be no
removal of trees; however the addition of trees, shrubs and ground covers
is accepted. Still need to make a decision of whether or not this will be
included in the proposed covenants/bylaws.
- Pool House restrooms: There is a sewer issue causing the toilets to be
stopped up. It was approved to camera sewer the area at a cost of $150, to
determine the severity of the damage and what corrective action to take.
- A property inspection was done on Thursday, June 7. Results of this
inspection were discussed.
- McRae & Stolz will be invoiced for mowing their lot.
- A homeowner was present and discussed access to tennis courts.
Non-residents have been found playing on our courts (and past the night
time light curfew). A suggestion of higher fences and locks on gates was
brought forward. Also discussed were the purchase of new signs; one
stating that a resident must accompany non-residents and one stating
lights out at 10pm. Funds were approved, by Carrie Meersman, seconded by
Paul Cernich, for the purchase of new locks for the timers.
- Discussed the delay in getting ACC approval forms to committee. It was
suggested that a local drop box be added at the Bus Stop, at the amenities
corner, for ACC approval forms.
- Discussed the need for two new pool skimmers.
- Today American will handle pool Keys and their distribution. This
information has been posted on the website.
- Discussed improvements to the clubhouse; painting interior, interior
lighting, carpeting, tiling, etc.
- BOD approved the action for continuing service on the large screen TV.
Approved by Carrie Meersman, seconded by Paul Cernich.
The next meeting of the Avocet Board of Directors was scheduled for July
3, 2001 starting at 7pm in the Avocet Clubhouse.
The motion to adjourn this meeting was made by Carrie Meersman,
seconded by Andrew Goodspeed. The meeting ended at 9:30 pm.